Roofs are the underdog that no one notices but everyone should. We really take them for granted, don’t we? Really, what we do without a roof? I suppose we could use tarps and tie them to the ground like a tent with walls. Or maybe sheet metal like some countries have to but either way, there’d still be a roof. I mean, what if there just wasn’t one, at all? What if houses were made with walls and and floors and that’s it? The possibilities are endless. Break ins would definitely be a lot easier. Weather would destroy everything we own and we might possibly freeze to death or get heat stroke. There’d really be no point to a house if it didn’t have a roof but we don’t appreciate them like we should. We don’t nurture them and take care of them like they need. Poor things pretty much get ignored until something major really happens and then roof repair is inevitable. Well, this article is made to bring long over due attention to the one thing holding us all together and keeping us civilized.
- The very oldest used materials in the world were thatch, clay and stone. Clay can actually be traced back to 6,000 B.C.
- Clay has been known to last more than 1,000 years on a house.
- Metal materials weight less than wood, making a lighter weight roof if used for shingles.
- Asphalt shingles are the most common type of a roof even though they are the newest.
- Green roofs last longer than asphalt but they aren’t as popular.
- You can plant flowers and even small trees on a green roof.
- Coated steel can be made with 65% recycled material giving you a very environmentally friendly home covering.
- 30 year warranty doesn’t mean the roof should last that long.
- They should be replaced every 15 to 20 years.
- If you place a new one over an old one, it will shorten the life span.
- Some insurance companies refuse to cover a home with a wooden roof.
- Back to history, in the 12th century, there was a law passed by King John that ordered everyone in London to replace their thatch and reed with clay tiles.
You may think this article is unimportant or even ridiculous but it would do you good to look into serious facts of roofing. Needing a new one is no joking matter and you should be able to identify the tale tell signs of when it’s time to replace or fix. While this article is a fun one, don’t hesitate to look into replacement if that is what you think you may need. If you are approaching the 10 year mark on your own, it may be time to start setting aside money if you do not have a warranty. Roof repair cost can get pricey especially on commercial roofing. The point of this article, although silly in the beginning is to try and help you see how important your roof is and how we need to do regular maintenance and upkeep on them in order to preserve them and thus the rest of the house. It is true that if the roof collapses, the entire house could be destroyed.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.