With weather experts predicting another long, cold winter this season, homeowners are likely to get good use out of their home heating systems. Many might think this means they’ll be spending more on heating costs this winter; however, this is not necessarily the case. Efficient home heating can cut major costs, and there are a number of ways to make the most out of your home heating system. MSN Real Estate compiled a list of tips to help homeowners save money on their heating bills when the temperatures drop. Here are a few home heating solutions from the list:
- Lower Your Thermostat – This may sound like a crazy idea when we’re expecting sub-zero temperatures, but you don’t need to be running your heat continuously throughout the day. It is a good idea to turn your thermostat down before you go to work and then put it back to a comfortable temperature when you get home. You should also turn it back down right before you go to bed. According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, you can save 3% for every degree you lower your thermostat.
- Don’t Let Air in Through the Fireplace – Another way to lower heating costs this winter is by keeping the cold air out of your home. One way that cold air can get in is through your fireplace. Make sure that the fireplace is closed properly to prevent any unwanted drafts.
- Let the Light In – Natural light is a great source of extra heat during the winter. Make sure to pull back the curtains and raise the blinds on sunny days to let as much light in as possible. At the end of the day, be sure to close curtains and blinds to keep heat from escaping.
- Make Good Use of Fans – Other home heating options that many people forget about are fans. While we rely on fans in the warm months to provide a refreshing blast of cool air, they can provide the opposite effect during the winter by simply switching the direction of the fan. The Department of Energy reports that fans can fill a home with warm air in just an hour’s time.
- Properly Prepare Windows – One last home heating solution is to make sure that windows are prepared for the winter. If you have storm windows, replace your window screens with them. If you notice any cracks in sealant, make sure to fill them to keep cold air out.
Your home heating system may be busy this winter, but there are many ways in which you can help it along, all while cutting back on your heating bill. Try these tips for saving on heating costs this winter and your wallet will thank you. Reference links.
Share This : by