When it comes to what people have to spend their money on, heating and cooling are high on that list. It has been estimated that these things comprise about half of an average household’s energy usage. At least two-thirds of all homes in the United States rely on air conditioning. Many people do not give their heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems (HVAC) until they malfunction but a little preventative maintenance can go a long way and there are things everyone can do to keep them running, say heating air conditioning services experts.
- Check the filters. This is one of the most simple things you can do to make sure your home stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Most experienced professionals will tell you to check them at least once a month but it really depends on your lifestyle and where you live. If you have pets and people in your home have allergies, you will want to check them more often. When they get clogged or dirty, you should change them. In the first place, this can lead to a burnout of the motor on your air conditioner or heating system and it is much cheaper to buy new filters than to have the heating air conditioning services some replace your system. Secondly, clogged filters can be a fire hazard.
- Watch where you put the thermostat. People may not give a lot of thought to the placement of their thermostat but it can make a difference. For example, if it is under a hot lamp or near the kitchen, it can register the home as being warmer than it is and either not let the heat kick on or keep the air conditioning running more than it is needed. Make sure the thermostat is in a place where it can only measure the temperature of the room.
- Get a new thermostat. If you have not made the switch to a digital thermostat, you should make it a point to do so. Newer models can be set remotely so you can check the temperature in your home from your workplace or when you are out of the area. Many of these also allow you to select which parts of your home are heated or cooled, saving you a lot on your bills as you will not be heating and cooling areas of your home where no one is. You can also program them to kick on a little before people arrive home from school and work so that your home is comfortable when you need it to be.
- Check it before the weather changes. Before the cold or hot weather hits your area, check your system. Make sure it turns on and does what it needs to do. If you need to have any repairs done by your local heating air conditioning services company, you should look into having them done before you really need to be able to heat or cool your home.
- Have the ducts cleaned. There is a reason you have to check your filters. They get dirty as the system pulls in dirt from your home. This can cut down on the efficiency of your system and make it work harder. That can cause it to burn out faster and cause you to need to bring in heating air conditioning services people to do costly repairs or replace the entire system.
- Keep your air conditioner unit clear of debris. Check out your outdoor air conditioning unit from time to time and make sure it is free of dirt, leaves, branches or other debris. You need to give it room all around it so that air can move in and out easily. It cannot be expected to work correctly if it does not have the right air flow.
We rely on our HVAC systems to keep us comfortable in our home all year round. The good news is that there are things we all can do to keep our heating and air conditioning systems healthy and happy and keeping us comfortable. These are simple steps everyone can take to keep our systems running smoothly.
Share This : by